Sunday, February 21, 2010

Potty Diaries

Last weekend I decided that it was time to start the heavy duty potty training. Macey is definitely familiar with the potty; she loves Elmo's potty time, like to watch me go potty and loves to sit on her potty chair (when fully clothed), but she doesn't like to pull down her pants to sit on the potty. I decided that the remedy to this problem would be to put her in underwear and if she got them wet it would bother her enough to get the hang of the whole "pulling down" thing. Well, like many of my best plans, it didn't work :-) We devoted a few hours each day to the potty, on the first day she did go in the potty once (well, twice really but the second time she still had her panties on) but things went downhill from there. I got peed on, as well as the floor and the couch and by Friday Macey cried and whined when I suggested trying to go on the potty and no amount of bribery was successful. Oh well, I guess we will just try again in a few weeks. I am sure she will get the hang of it sooner of later and if you have any tips please pass them on! My mood was brightened when my cousin Keri pointed out that it is alot easier to change a diaper than a whole outfit :-)

6 comments:

thomas family said...

I know you don't want to hear this, but they really won't do it until they are ready. I tried to force Riley and all I got back was utter misery. With a new baby coming, she'll probably regress. Hang in there its a tough ride.

The Wessman Family said...

I agree that they have to be ready. With Abby, I had to be ready as well. I was dreading it! But when we were both ready for it, it went pretty smoothly! Good luck:)

Kristy said...

With my girls I would put undies on and then a diaper over it. That way they could feel when they were wet but I only had at wash the undies and not pants too.

Brittany and Rob said...

oh i know your pain liz! we thought the same thing with kaydence, that she would pee in her underwear once and hate it enough to wanna go in the potty but after lots of accidents and no progress we went back to pull ups. it's been a few weeks since she's had an accident but i think that i am the traumatized one and scared to try panties on her again. lol. luckily bribery works on her or we'd be outta luck. hang in there. :)

Keith and Allie said...

I'm no expert at potty training but I do think you can't force it. Unfortunately you just need to wait until they are ready. We tried with Hannah and almost the same thing happened as with Macey. We tried again in a few months and she did it in one day! :) You might want to wait until after your baby comes too because I hear they regress. Good luck! As long as she doesn't go to Kindergarten in a diaper I think you're all set! Don't stress!

Angie said...

I totally agree with all the advice that has been given. I had the same battle with Blake the first few attempts, but when he was truly ready, he was trained in less than 2 days. It is crazy that one day they just decide they want to do it. Good luck! (I also hear that girls are easier to train then boys if that makes you feel any better :)