Monday, January 24, 2011

The Parable of the Potty

Potty Training. It has pretty much been the dark cloud over our house for many months. We have tried and tried but Macey just isn't getting it. It makes it extra frustrating because we aren't sure how much of the problem is related to her Asperger's (difficulty with change, anxiety about sitting on the potty) and how much is just stubbornness so it is hard to know how to handle it. I wish this post was going to be about how we have finally tackled the problem but sadly, it's not. However keep your fingers crossed that a post like that will be coming soon :-)! As I was pondering the potty problem at Stake Conference on Sunday I had a pretty deep thought (deep for me at least) that I wanted to record.
Dan and I have been feeling alot of frustration trying to teach Macey to use the potty because to us it seems to simple! We know it would make her life so much easier and we know that Macey is definitely smart enough to do it but she often acts like us trying to get her to use the potty is like torture. As I thought about it I realized how Heavenly Father must feel when He is trying to help me. There are so many things that He is trying to teach me that He knows would improve my life and that probably seem so simple to Him but I just keep resisting. Some of the lessons probably seem like huge trials to me and I am fighting it too much to stop and listen. But He loves me enough to keep trying to teach me and not give up.
I am so grateful for a loving Heavenly Father who gives me the opportunity to learn and grow and I am grateful for my wonderful girls who are always teaching me!

1 comments:

Ale said...

Hi Liz!! nice to know what your family is been up to!! and finally meeting your new baby girl you were still pregnant when i moved!! i think i should make my own blog now lol. so we can keep in touch!