Monday, November 1, 2010

Social Story Success!

Before last week Macey had been to the dentist three times...and each time was horrible! She gets really anxious about new places and situations (especially doctors offices) and when you factor in someone sticking things in your mouth, well, it was just bad all around. It was time for her next check-up, which I was dreading, so I asked Macey's new doctor if she had any ideas to make the whole thing easier. She suggested that I write Macey a Social Story about the dentist. A Social Story basically means writing a story about your child in a situation that is new or that they struggle with. For Macey's story I went to the dentist office and took pictures of the building, the chair, the dentist and the treasure chest where you get a prize along with some pictures of Macey brushing her teeth and I put them in a book with a story about Macey going to the dentist, sitting in the chair, etc. Macey really enjoyed reading the book and...it was a success!! We went to the dentist on Friday and she did awesome! She sat in the chair and let them clean and floss her teeth and everything! There were a few times when she got a little nervous but she was able to calm down easily and move on to the next thing. Little did I know the hardest part of the appointment would be getting her away from the train table in the waiting room!


I am so glad I learned about social stories and how to write them (I felt like I was back in school, there are all sorts of rules about what kind of sentences and words you are supposed to use). It is nice to know that I have a trick up my sleeve to help Macey handle new or scary situations!

4 comments:

Lucy said...

That's great! I think I might try Social stories too! What a great idea! Macy looks sooo grown-up, I can't believe it!

Lori said...

I am so glad the social story worked out for you! I may need to try that idea before Tyler's appointment next month. Way to go Macey!!!

Keith and Allie said...

I think I am going to write a social story for myself! I hate the dentist and only go when I have to and usually make Keith come & hold my hand! I am a bad example to my kids....but they do great, lots better than me!

Way to go Macey! You are very brave and I'm impressed!

Megan said...

That is a great idea!! My Milo really struggles with change and new places/situations. I may have to adopt these "social stories" Perhaps you could share the rules?