Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Just what the doctor ordered!

Macey and Avery both had well checks in the last week. I am glad that Avery hasn't learned to be scared of the doctors office yet, getting through an appointment with Macey is a huge chore...especially when it involves shots!
Avery's appointment was yesterday and it went good. She is still a great eater and now weighs in at 11 lbs. 8 oz. (75 %) and is 23.5 inches long (90%). I was really glad to see that she is growing on track because she eats a lot during the day but is sleeping so long at night I was getting a little worried. I know, I know, never complain that your baby sleeps well right :-) Avery is such a sweet baby and we love her so much! Macey is really smitten by her little sister and all day she asks to "see her". She likes to give her loves and tickle her cheek and she loves to help me burp her. I hope that Macey still likes her this much when she starts having to share the toys with her :-)
Macey's appointment was last week, she is still growing and healthy despite the fact that all she eats are eggo waffles and french fries! She weighs 31 pounds (50%) and is 38.2 inches tall (75%). Her language skills are still improving and we are really looking forward to her starting preschool in the fall. About a month and a half ago we found out that Macey has Asperger's Syndrome. Asperger's is a disorder that causes delays in communication and socialization. For Macey her main issues are her language delay, difficulty with new people and situations and difficulty knowing how to behave in social situations or around other kids. The doctors we have seen say that Macey is very high functioning and we are glad we caught it early so that we can help her learn the skills and strategies she will need in life. We have been looking into a few options of classes and things to help Macey work on these skills and the preschool will be a huge help to her. It has been a bit stressful taking this in at the same time as a move and a new baby but Macey's delays are very mild and we know she will be able to do everything she wants to in life, like everyone else out there she will just have some struggles to help her grow.

4 comments:

Kristy said...

I have 2 other friends with kids that have the same thing. They did not know at such a young age. Their kids were 8 and 10 before they found out why they were having problems. But they both have great Dr.s and the kids are doing wonderfully well. Finding out when she is 3 is a huge step to understanding her better. Keep us updated.

Kellie Glade said...

Liz,
Your little girls are getting so big. I can't believe how long Macey's hair is. Maybe I need to start letting Raegan grow hers out. Avery is adorable!!! I'm sure everything will be just fine with Macey. There are amazing teachers out there willing and ready to help. Looks like your family is having a great summer so far!!!

Keith and Allie said...

Lizzy! I am so excited to be neighbors! It was great having your family here Saturday! Come play again soon! We can't wait to come see you & your new pad! Your girls are adorable and are welcome to come play anytime! :)

Tracy Smythe said...

It has been fun to see how the Miles family is doing. Your girls are so cute. I can't believe how big they are. Time flies...

I have seen a lot of kids come in and out of PCMC with Aspbergers and they are amazing. It is so good to have the resources now days. Macey is an awesome kid and she is going to do great. Keep your head up....I know this is so hard on you as a mom. She is lucky to have such great parents to help and support her!